PLT Logo
Neville Coles

Neville Coles
Executive Principal

Priory Community School Workshop

Bursaries and Finance

The cost of the programme is  £9,000 across the year, which is paid directly to Marjons. Don’t let this scare you though – bursaries and student support are available.

There are three types of funding available for teacher training – depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three:

  1. Tax-free bursary or scholarship
  2. Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
  3. Additional financial support if you’re a parent or have a disability

Follow the link below to find out more details on the bursaries available…

Postgraduate tuition fee and maintenance loans

If you’re looking to train on a non-salaried teacher training course, you could receive a tuition fee and maintenance loan to help you successfully complete your postgraduate teacher training year and start your new career. This is available to all eligible postgraduate teacher trainees, with or without a bursary or scholarship.


Tuition fees and any other financial support you might receive will depend on your status as a homeEU/EEA or overseas student. Make sure you’re aware of the level of support you’re eligible for before you apply for teacher training.

Tuition fee loans

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course you are on and your chosen training provider. For more details on the fees charged, you should contact the HEI or SCITT provider of the course or programme you are interested in.

Home and EU/EEA students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. This is available through Student Finance England. You won’t have to pay the cost of tuition charges up front and you will only repay the loan once you’re in employment and earning above £25,000.

Important information for non-UK EU nationals and EEA citizens following EU referendum result: 

EU nationals applying for teacher training in 2017/18 and 2018/19 will still be able to access tax-free bursaries or scholarships, and a tuition fee loan. Under current rules, EU nationals can access this support if they have resided in the European Economic Area or Switzerland throughout the three-year period before the start of the course. For more information, visit GOV.UK and sign up to the Home Office email updates.

Maintenance loan

You may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs – amounts are dependent on household income and if you’re living with your parents.

If you’re an EU/EEA national, you may be eligible for help with living costs, and you could apply for a maintenance loan as a UK national if you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You can find out more about maintenance loans on GOV.UK.

Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to apply for this support via your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI).

Additional support and advice

Some providers may be able to offer additional funding and support, for example by paying your travel expenses to school placements. Be sure to contact them to find out what’s available for someone in your financial situation.

If you’re on a non-salaried course, you could access further funding to support your journey into teaching. You can use the student finance calculator to estimate student loans and extra funding that may be available, for instance Parents’ Learning Allowance, Childcare Grants or Child Tax Credits.

To find out more about funding, register with Get Into Teaching or speak to one of our advisers on Freephone 0800 389 2500.