Totteridge Academy Web Logo

Financing your teacher training year

The cost of the programme is  £9,000 across the year, which is paid directly to Marjons. Don’t let this scare you though – bursaries and student support are available.

There are three types of funding available for teacher training – depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three:

  1. Tax-free bursary or scholarship
  2. Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
  3. Additional financial support if you’re a parent or have a disability

Follow the link below to find out more details on the bursaries available…

Tax Free Bursary

Bursaries and scholarships are available to trainees on a fee-based teacher training course in England that leads to the award of qualified teacher status. Availability is dependent on your highest relevant academic award and the subject in which you are training to teach. To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria. Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to be entitled for support as set out by your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI). Both elements will be assessed by your teacher training provider. If you have a degree from outside the UK, you should refer to the overseas degree equivalency table to see the bursary your degree may attract.

Bursaries for 2018/19:

Physics, Chemistry, Languages, Computing, Geography, Biology, Classics (with 2:1, 2:2, Masters, PhD) – £26,000

English (with 2:2 or above) – £15,000

DT (with 1st or PhD) – £12,000; (with 2:1 or Masters) £9,000

History, Music, RE (with 1st or PhD) – £9,000; (with 2:1 or Masters) £4000

Primary Maths (with 2:2 above) – £6,000

How you will be paid

You don’t need to apply for a bursary. If you’re enrolled on a non-salaried postgraduate course and meet the eligibility criteria, you will begin receiving payments automatically from your chosen teacher training provider when you begin your course. How you’re paid will depend on the amount of financial support you receive. If you’re awarded a bursary or scholarship, you’ll receive this in 10 equal monthly instalments from October to July.

Details of the payments are as follows:

  • £4,000: £400 each month
  • £6,000: £600 each month
  • £9,000: £900 each month
  • £12,000: £1,200 each month
  • £15,000: £1,500 each month
  • £20,000: £2,000 each month
  • £22,000: £2,200 each month
  • £26,000: £2,600 each month
  • £28,000: £2,800 each month

You’re advised to confirm the actual payment schedule with your teacher training provider.

These payments are not taxable, but might be included as part of your capital income if you receive state benefits. Contact your local benefits office to find out how this might affect your situation.

If you’re on a part-time or accelerated course, you may be paid in larger instalments throughout its duration, but no more than 50% of the bursary will be paid in one go.

Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans

If you’re looking to train on a non-salaried teacher training course, you could receive a tuition fee and maintenance loan to help you successfully complete your postgraduate teacher training year and start your new career. This is available to all eligible postgraduate teacher trainees, with or without a bursary or scholarship.


Tuition fees and any other financial support you might receive will depend on your status as a homeEU/EEA or overseas student. Make sure you’re aware of the level of support you’re eligible for before you apply for teacher training.

Tuition fee loans

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course you are on and your chosen training provider. For more details on the fees charged, you should contact the HEI or SCITT provider of the course or programme you are interested in.

Home and EU/EEA students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. This is available through Student Finance England. You won’t have to pay the cost of tuition charges up front and you will only repay the loan once you’re in employment and earning above £25,000.

Important information for non-UK EU nationals and EEA citizens following EU referendum result: 

EU nationals applying for teacher training in 2017/18 and 2018/19 will still be able to access tax-free bursaries or scholarships, and a tuition fee loan. Under current rules, EU nationals can access this support if they have resided in the European Economic Area or Switzerland throughout the three-year period before the start of the course. For more information, visit GOV.UK and sign up to the Home Office email updates.

Maintenance loan

You may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs – amounts are dependent on household income and if you’re living with your parents.

If you’re an EU/EEA national, you may be eligible for help with living costs, and you could apply for a maintenance loan as a UK national if you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You can find out more about maintenance loans on GOV.UK.

Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to apply for this support via your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI).